Saturday 20 January 2018

Week 2: A Period of Change (1871 - 1950): Day 1: The Early Years (Late 1800s – 1919)

Activity 1: St Joseph’s Cathedral
Name: Cathedral Church of Christ
When it was built: Between 1864 and 1904
How long did it take to build:
Where is the cathedral: Christchurch Central City



Activity 2: The Right to Vote
It is not fair because everybody has the right to say what they think



Bonus Activity: In Flanders Fields

It makes me feel sad because my great, great, great granddad where in the war
but it also makes me feel thankful to everybody that thought for New Zealand.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy!

    Wow! You have been so busy with your blog, amazing work!

    Activity One:
    Great choice of cathedral for your activity, I think its awesome that you have picked a local! Have you visited the cathedral before?
    I have only been there once when I was little and I got a little bit scared! I am not sure why though, it looks like such a beautiful building.

    Do you think they will make many changes to it with the re-build? What do you think they should do: Make a new modern building or try re-create the old building?

    Activity Two:
    Thanks for sharing your view on womens right to vote! In order to recieve full points for this activity it would be great if you could try to extend your answer a little bit. If you are feeling a little bit stuck maybe you could think about some of these questions to help (I hope!):
    - How would you feel about not being able to vote?
    - Should men and women be treated differently? Why/why not?
    - What is important about having the right to vote?

    Hopefully some of things might help!

    Bonus:
    Thank you for sharing your feelings on the Flanders Field poem, it was cool to hear about your connection to the war.
    The poem makes me feel sad too, but I like the line where they talk about the poppies growing inbetween the crosses. I think its a nice to picture such beautiful flowers sprouting up in between the soldiers resting place - kind of like a way to forever thank them even though we are unable to place flowers there ourselves.
    What do you think? Do you have a favourite part of the poem?

    Great work Lucy, glad to see you so busy with your blog!
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.