Tuesday 15 January 2019

Week 3: Day 2 The Air Up There

Activity 1: Bee Informed
The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to
Hum, Buzz or Drone.

Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/h).

Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 90 percent of their body weight in food with them to
avoid starvation.

Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact,
they can do up to 50 times as much work as a normal honeybee.

The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the
removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss, and extensive use of pesticides.


Activity 2: Carbon Sinks Don’t Stink!
  1. Whipped cream
  2. Chocolate cake
  3. Chocolate ice cream
  4. Dark chocolate
  5. Pumpkin
  6. Mustard

Activity 3: Flying Fungi
7 x 5 = 35 days to remove all the moulds.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy,
    It seems to me that you are very productive and love doing 1 day in a whole blog post. It surprised me that you would put whipped cream, chocolate cake and dark chocolate in the big carbon sinks, those are like my most favourite things. Next time you can make sure you aren't copying stuff from the internet, because you may not know what it means yourself.

    Happy blogging
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy!

    You are smashing these activities - awesome work! :)

    Activity One:
    Awesome job with these facts!
    It was so interesting to read this information on the bumblebee - man they are hard workers!!

    Did any of these facts take you by surprise?
    I think I was really shocked at how fast they could go!
    I used to own a scooter that could go about the same speed (54km/h) - I felt like I was going pretty fast! :) I think it is amazing that a bumblebee can do the same!

    I was also surprised that they could carry 90% of their body weight in food!
    I think if I had to carry around all of my food for the day I would be sticking to light things like rice crackers and popcorn. :)

    Activity Two:
    Thank you for sharing what you would put down your sink Lucy... Looks like you aren't a fan of chocolate?
    I am thinking that you still have a sweet tooth though because of the favourite foods you have posted about?

    I would be sad to see pumpkin go - It has grown on me as I've gotten older. :) I used to only eat pumpkin soup but now I eat it however its served.
    Who knows, maybe it will grow on you one day too?

    Activity Three:
    Oh easy peasy!! What a mathematician! :)
    Do you enjoy maths in school?
    What is your favourite subject?

    Imagine if this did happen - a whole extra month off of school!
    Would you like that or are you looking forward to going back?
    I used to love the school holidays, I never wanted to go back to school (even though I didn't mind school) - It was always nice to say hi to my friends but after that I wanted to be back on holiday! :)

    Hopefully you are looking forward to this year at school Lucy, I am sure your teachers have some amazing things planned already!

    Nga mihi,
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy!

      Awesome to hear you are looking forward to going back to school! ...not long now :)

      Ellee :)

      Delete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.